Days until: Race Weekend
Distances + Course Maps
CAN I HAVE SOMEONE ELSE PICK UP MY BIB NUMBER AND T-SHIRT FOR ME?
Yes. Whoever you designate to pick up your bib number must do so at the Bib Number Pick-up area at the Shamrock Fitness Fair on March 13 and 14 at the Oregon Convention Center.
The Shamrock Fitness Fair is part of the fun and open to everyone – you do not want to miss it! If you need to have a friend or family member pick up your packet please be sure you:
• sign the electronic waiver in your active.com account.
• provide them a copy of your registration confirmation email.
• provide a copy of your photo ID (this can be as easy as sending a photo of your ID via text message!).
If the participant has someone pick-up their bib for them, and their waivers are not signed, we cannot release the bib.
CAN I PICK-UP MY BIB ON RACE MORNING (3/15/20)?
A limited number of “Race Day Packet Pickups” are available for purchase during online registration for $10. You may purchase this option during your online registration, or you may add this purchase by going to https://myevents.active.com/ (your your Active.com login email and password to login).
If you are a team member, your Team Captain will have received all of the team’s packets to distribute before the event.
If you are an individual and you elect not to opt in for the race day packet pickup, you must visit the Shamrock Fitness Fair at the Oregon Convention Center on Fri., March 13 or Sat., March 14 to pick-up your bib. If you can’t make it to the Shamrock Fitness Fair to pick up your bib, please refer to the paragraph above, “Can I have someone else pick up my bib number and t-shirt for me?” for instructions.
HOW DO I EXCHANGE MY T-SHIRT FOR A DIFFERENT SIZE?
Go the the T-shirt pick-up area at the Shamrock Fitness Fair or take your shirt to Waterfront Park on Shamrock Sunday to the T-shirt canopy and make the exchange. But, we cannot guarantee that we will have the size shirt you want on Shamrock Sunday.
I’M NOT SURE I CAN RUN THE ENTIRE DISTANCE IN THE EVENT I ENTERED. CAN I SLOW DOWN OR WALK IF I NEED TO?
Yes. Running and walking to complete a distance is OK. In fact, mixing walking with running is a great way to improve your conditioning. Many Shamrock Run participants walk portions of the routes.
But, if you want to walk an entire distance, then you must enter the Shamrock Stride, our 4-mile walking event. Walking the entire distance in the 5k, 8k, 15k or Shamrock Half is not permitted.
There is also a time limit in the the Shamrock Half. You must maintain a pace of at least 13 minutes per mile. You should not spend too much time walking the Shamrock Half.
WHAT HAPPENS IF I CANNOT MAINTAIN A 13-MINUTE PER MILE PACE OR FASTER IN THE HALF?
You will need to get to get to a specific location by the 90-minute mark. If you haven’t by that time, you will be redirected by police.
This detour will result in shortening the course by about 3.7 miles. Sorry for having to strictly enforce the 13-minute per mile pace for the Shamrock Half, but it is one of the conditions of our permit with the City. Unfortunately, we do not allow early starts for any Shamrock distances because of safety concerns.
CAN I WEAR HEADPHONES ON THE COURSE AT SHAMROCK?
Yes. But, please stay alert. Although the streets are closed to vehicle traffic, sometimes emergency vehicles must get on or across the routes.
CAN I RUN WITH A BABY JOGGER OR STROLLER?
Running with a baby jogger or a stroller at Shamrock is NOT permitted. But, walking with a baby jogger or a stroller is allowed, although only in the Shamrock Stride.
CAN I RUN OR WALK WITH MY DOG AT SHAMROCK?
Shamrock Run is a very large community event for all ages. Please help us keep our participants, spectators, volunteers AND your pet safe and stress-free by leaving your pets at home on this Sunday morning (except for certified assistance dogs/animals).
WHERE CAN I STORE MY WARM-UPS DURING THE EVENT?
We will have a large canopy in Waterfront Park near The Morrison Bridge — identified as “Gear Check” — where participants can leave their warm-up clothing for safe-keeping during the event. Please do not check backpacks, keys, wallets, purses or other valuables, however. The gear check service is for warm-up clothing only and it is free. The event provides the bags for gear check.
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A “GUN” TIME AND A “NET” TIME?
A runner’s “gun” finish time is the elapsed time from when the starting horn sounds until the runner crosses the finish line. The time waiting and slowly moving forward to cross the start line is included in the runner’s official “gun” time.
A runner’s “net” finish time (or “chip” time) is the elapsed time from when the runner actually crosses the starting line to when the runner crosses the finish line. Time spent waiting to cross the starting line is NOT included in the runner’s official “net” time.
The Shamrock Run uses “gun” times for only the top five overall finishers in each race. For all other finishers, and for the purpose of determining the top three finishers in each age group, the Shamrock Run uses “net” or “chip” times.
IS THERE AN AWARD CATEGORY FOR RACE WALKING?
No, sorry. Although race walkers are permitted in all events at Shamrock, so long as they can maintain at least an average pace of 13:00 per mile, Shamrock does not offer a competitive race walking division at any distance.
CAN PEOPLE ON MY TEAM DO DIFFERENT EVENTS?
Yes. Team members can do any combination of events or distances. Some can do the 5k, others can do the Shamrock Half, the 15k or the 8k, and some can do the Shamrock Stride. It doesn’t matter.
GETTING TO THE EVENT
On race weekend, visit the Shamrock Fitness Fair at the Oregon Convention Center on Friday and Saturday. It’s accessible by car, streetcar, Light Rail and bus. On Sunday, plan to arrive in plenty of time for your event at Waterfront Park in downtown Portland. If you can, plan to carpool, take Light Rail (it stops a block from the Park), utilize public transportation, walk, run or cycle to the event. More information on parking and directions.
WEATHER IN MARCH
On race weekend, Shamrock weather is sometimes unpredictable. Watch the forecast and plan your run and attire accordingly. Shamrock will be held rain or shine.
SIGN UP FOR ATHLETE ALERTS!
Runners, friends and family can sign up to receive a text, email or facebook alerts when they cross the finish line or any other timing locations on the course. Sign up here!
WHERE CAN I FIND 2019 RESULTS?
Click here for results (2014-2019!)
WHERE CAN I FIND 2017 PHOTOS?
HOW DO I KNOW IF I AM REGISTERED?
You will receive a confirmation email from ACTIVE.com with your registration information and a receipt email from email@example.com.
I AM HAVING TROUBLE GETTING REGISTERED. CAN SOMEONE HELP ME?
For online registration issues contact the ACTIVE Network’s customer support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or 877-228-4881.
HOW CAN I EDIT MY REGISTRATION?
Log into your MyEvents.ACTIVE.com account, find your race entry, and click the “Edit registration” button to make updates to your registration. The deadline to make edits to your registration is March 13th, 2020.
CAN I SWITCH RACES?
Yes, you can always switch race distances if there is still capacity in the event you are looking to switch into. Log into your MyEvents.ACTIVE.com account, find your race entry, and click the “Change category” button to make update to your registration. The deadline to make edits to your registration is March 13th, 2020.
- Switching from a longer distance to a shorter distance: There is no fee to switch to a shorter distance. There are no refunds for the difference in price between the two distances.
- Switching from a shorter distance to a longer distance: You will be prompted to pay the difference in fee from the shorter distance to the current cost of the longer distance.
- Late Category transfers: If you miss the deadline to change race distances, you will be able to make the change at the Expo for an administrative charge of $10 plus any additional price difference for longer distances. You must run the race for which you are registered for or you may be disqualified.
HOW CAN I ADD RACE EXTRAS TO MY REGISTRATION?
Race Extras can be selected during registration. If you did not purchase at the time of registration, log into your MyEvents.ACTIVE.com account, find your race entry, and click the “Purchase merchandise” button to add Race Extras to your registration.
I CAN’T MAKE THE RACE. WHAT OPTIONS DO I HAVE?
Entry fees are non-refundable. We appreciate you, as our customer, and understand that sometimes you just can’t make the race. We have created a great policy that offers you several different options, in the event you cannot attend on race day. (You may choose only one of the options below.)
- Defer Your Entry: You may defer your entry to the 2021 event. Deferrals must be processed by the registration team and an administration fee of 50% of the cost of the following year’s registration cost will be charged in the event you defer. The deferral will expire after the 2021 event and you will not be able to defer your registration again. Deferral requests must be submitted by email request to email@example.com no later than March 1, 2020.
- Transfers: You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. However, bib transfers are allowed for an administration charge of $25 and must be processed through your ACTIVE MyEvents account no later than March 12, 2020. If you transfer your bib, you will receive a refund (minus the $25 administration charge) once the new participant signs up. The new runner will need to pay the full entry fee at the time of the transfer. Log into your ACTIVE.com account and select “Transfer registration” to begin the process.
- Insurance: If you purchased Registration Protector insurance you may file a refund claim with Booking Protect. All insurance claims and refunds go directly through Booking Protect. Submit a refund application: https://bookingprotect.com/refund/
The Tradition Continues March 15, 2020!
Join in for Big St. Paddy’s Day Fun!
From family fun, to the iconic beer garden, distances and routes for all abilities and even a two-day Fitness Fair. Shamrock has something for everyone…and all with an Irish flair!